Gotta hand it to the folks at IFEX.
They just launched a contest that can involve anyone and everyone around the world. This time it is a photo contest to combat impunity.
What are the guidelines?
Submissions should convey the impact of impunity on freedom of expression. Suggested themes are:
- The courage of those fighting impunity
- Activism, protests, and challenging injustice
- A culture of fear and silence
- Individuals targeted for exposing corruption, human rights violations, and organised crime, while the perpetrators go free
- Corruption, broken judicial systems and justice denied
I can think of loads of examples in just about every country I have lived in and visited.
The contest is to highlight International Day to End Impunity, which is November 23. The deadline for submission is November 3.
According to IFEX, they picked November 23 because it is the anniversary of the 2009 Ampatuan Massacre, the single deadliest day for journalists in recent history. Activities for the day are designed to raise public awareness and showcase the work of organizations working for justice for those being persecuted for practicing their right to freedom of expression.
Full rules and guidelines here.