Reuters is reporting that the two French journalists who were kidnapped in Afghanistan Dec. 30 are alive.
The Taliban kidnappers released the video of the journalists urging the French government to move faster in its negotiations with the Taliban.
The two journalists, along with their Afghan driver and translator, were seized in Kapisa province on December 30 while working on a story for France 3 television. The driver was later freed.
It had been unclear until Sunday who exactly had kidnapped the journalists, since abduction has become a lucrative business for both Afghan militants and purely criminal groups.
France 3 has asked that the two men not be named. They said they were healthy in the video, first obtained by Reuters.
“I have no idea what is happening. We have been given no information but I hope the negotiations are making progress,” one said. “Although we are being treated well, we feel the weight of the passing days and weeks.”
Cross posted with Journalism and the World